Using the Android SIP Client with Clearwater¶
These instructions detail how to enable the stock Android SIP client. The instructions vary depending on your handset and Android model, in particular the Nexus 6 running 5.1.1 has different menus to the other known supported devices listed. If you get them working on another device, please add to the list. Equally, if they do not work, please add your device to the unsupported list.
- Ensure that you have a data connection (either through 3G or WiFi).
- Launch your standard dialer (often called Phone or Dialer).
- Bring up the menu. Depending on your phone, this may be via a physical Menu button, or via an icon (consisting of three dots in a vertical line in either the top right or bottom right).
- From the menu, navigate to the internet calling accounts menu.
- On many devices this is located in Settings (or Call Settings) > Internet Call Settings > Accounts.
- On the Nexus 6 running 5.1.1 this is located in Settings > Calls > Calling accounts > Internet Call Settings > Internet calling (SIP) accounts.
- Press Add account and enter its configuration.
- Set Username, Password and Server to their usual values.
- Open the Optional settings panel to see and set the following options.
- Set Transport type to TCP.
- Set Authentication username to “sip:<username>@<server>”, substituting (note: once we switch to storing user digest by private id, this will change)
- Some SIP clients do not have an Authentication username field. To make calls through Clearwater using these clients you will have to configure an external HSS to allow one subscriber to have two private identities. This will allow the subscriber to have one private identity of the form ``email@example.com`` (the IMS standard form), and one private identity ``1234`` (which the phone will default to in the absence of a Authentication username).
- Once done, choose Save.
- Enable making internet calls.
- On many devices this is located in the Call menu (which can be accessed from the dialler by selecting Settings as above). Once here under Internet Call Settings select Use Internet Calling and set this to Ask for each call.
- On a Nexus 6 running 5.1.1 this is located in the Calling accounts menu. From here select Use internet calling and set this to Only for Internet Calls.
- Enable receiving internet calls (note this significantly reduces your
- On many devices this is located in Settings > Internet Call Settings > Accounts once here select Receive Incoming Calls.
- On the Nexus 6 running 5.1.1 this is located in Settings > Calls > Calling accounts once here select Receive Incoming Calls.
Adding a SIP contact to your phone book¶
- For many devices:
- navigate to the People App. Select + in the top right to add a new contact to the phone book.
- Under Add more information select Add another field. In this menu choose Internet call and enter your contact’s SIP address.
- For the Nexus 6 running 5.1.1:
- navigate to the Contacts App. Select + in the bottom right to add a new contact to the phone book.
- Under the Sip field enter your contact’s SIP address.
Making a call¶
- Make a call from the standard dialler to another Clearwater line, e.g. 6505551234 and hit the Call button.
- You will be prompted whether to use internet calling. Select internet calling and your call should connect.
Known supported devices¶
- Samsung Galaxy Nexus - 4.2.2
- Orange San Francisco II - 2.3.5
- HTC One M9 - 5.1
- Samsung Galaxy S4 - 4.3
- Nexus 6 - 5.1.1